I went for milk on Saturday morning and didn’t come home for probably an hour because once I was outside at 9 AM and felt how hot it was already I had a brilliant idea. I was finally going to make the margarita popsicles I have been wanting to prepare since late last summer, http://blog.hostthetoast.com/creamy-margarita-popsicles/ !! I never had a willing audience for them previously and figured hey, there’s a house full of people here so someone will eat them with me. This was a pretty easy recipe but I didn’t have a juicer. I used a spoon to juice 8 limes. My hand was so crampy after! But they were worth it!
Creamy Margarita Popsicles
– 1¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 8 limes), plus 4 limes for stabilizing the popsicle sticks
– 1 (14oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
– 1 cup water
– ¼ cup tequila KB Note: I also love tequila, so I probably put in 1/3 of a cup.
– 2 tablespoons orange juice – Kosher salt or margarita salt
– 12 (3oz) Dixie cups
– Small popsicle sticks or craft spoons KB Note: I couldn’t find these anywhere in the supermarket so I just broke apart skewers we had in the house. If it were for a party I would have cared a lot more but hey, it was just us.
– A pitcher or large cocktail shaker
1. In a pitcher or large cocktail shaker, combine the lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, water, tequila, and orange juice. It is important to combine the ingredients in a container that has a spout because it will make it much easier to pour the mix into cups.
2. Line out the Dixie cups on a baking sheet, so it will be easy to transport them to the freezer. Fill each Dixie cup 90% of the way with the tequila mixture.
3. Slice the limes into ¼ inch thick rounds. Push a craft spoon through the center of each lime round, so that half of the stick pokes out from each side. Top the mixture with the lime sticks. Make sure the lime is resting directly on top of the tequila mixture.
4. Freeze for at least 6 hours, or overnight. When ready to remove the popsicles from the Dixie cups, simply snip a small cut in the rim of each cup and peel them away from the popsicle. Place the popsicles onto a dish with crushed ice to keep them from melting too quickly, Sprinkle the tops generously with kosher salt, and serve.