I’ve been dying to make good down home Southern chicken and biscuits, but I don’t have the time to be making some crock pot recipe that takes over 2 hours to cook on top of the prep time, but I finally found a recipe that didn’t look too difficult or too time consuming. http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/11/homemade-chicken-and-dumplings/ One day I’m going to learn to use hyperlinked text on here.
Quick n Easy Chicken n Dumplings
– 2 cups flour
– ½ teaspoons baking powder
– 1 pinch salt
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 1 cup milk, a bit less than a full cup
– 2 quarts chicken broth (64 oz) KB note: I used a little bit more than called for, around 77 oz
– 3 cups cooked chicken (1 rotisserie chicken) KB note: I chose to use a normal sized rotisserie chicken and a second smaller one as well. We had three to four people eating with us.
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender.
2. Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
3. Heavily flour a work surface. You’ll need a rolling pin and something to cut the dumplings with, a knife or pizza cutter. You may want to use a small spatula to lift the dumplings off the cutting surface.
4. Roll the dough out thin with a heavily floured rolling pin. Dip your cutter in flour and cut the dumplings in squares about 2″x2″. It’s okay for them not to be exact. Just eye ball it. Some will be bigger, some smaller, some shaped funny.
5. Use the floured spatula to put them on a heavily floured plate. Just keep flouring between the layers of dumplings.
6. Bring the broth to a boil while cutting the pieces. Drop the dumplings in one at a time, stirring while you add them. The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth. I plan on adding just a little more flour to make it thicker. Cook them for about 15-20 minutes or until they not doughy tasting.
7. Add the cooked chicken to the pot and you’re done! I let it sit on low for another 15-20 minutes before we were ready to eat and it was great!!!