One thing you’ll learn about me is that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the distressed look. It’s my most favorite. It’s that shabby, country chic, with some antique French provincial feel that just makes my heart melt. The two pictures I moved to make room for the mirror were both dark brown and that was not going to match, so since I was painting already, I decided why not paint the frames too. And I had a stroke of genius, and said to myself, let’s distress them!! They were already stained, so there’s one step already cut out.
I brought them out with the shelving pieces that I was painting today, and got down to work. The weather was finally nice and not muggy even though we’re now in Carolina Monsoon Season, aka summer. The pictures are really stuck in the frames due to their foam backing so I opted to tape the glass instead of trying to pry them out. I have painted frames before without priming and they turned out fine so I skipped that step.
These frames were purchased at Walmart for $5 a while back, and I did not anticipate the stain do to what it did…but it didn’t surprise me.
The stain went nuts when it reacted with the paint, and I can’t tell whether priming them would have helped or not. The paint turned pink from the stain – and one frame was SO bad that I just threw it out. I had an extra frame that semi-matches the tabletop so I put the print into that one, and I figure it’ll be ok until it drives me crazy (already happening, by the way). I put 3-4 coats of paint on the frame that turned out ok, and let it dry.
I have done some very light research on distressing, so I knew enough to make sure the all edges were sanded down. I did this with a medium grit piece of sandpaper that I had. I didn’t want it to look too distressed, just lightly, so I didn’t do too much. I still did my happy dance when I saw the completed look I was going for!
This took several hours since I had to watch several coats of paint dry, but cost nothing since I used things I had already!